Tomato soup is one of my favorite soups. I love to pair it with grilled cheese sandwiches like my mom did when I was growing up. Oh yum! When I began making my soups from scratch I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to make a good soup due to the awful tomatoes we seem to get most of the year. So I experimented with canned tomatoes and ended up with a tomato soup recipe that is easy and delicious.
This recipe is pretty simple and although it is quite tasty as is, it is also very easy to personalize. Experiment a little with basil, shredded cheese, Goldfish crackers, or whatever you might like. It is also easy to make vegan – just use a butter alternative.
Simple and Delicious Tomato Soup
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes (or 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 2 tablespoons butter or butter alternative
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- basil to taste
- oregano to taste
- In a Dutch oven or stockpot, combine the tomatoes, onion, and chicken broth over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil and gently boil for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and blend the mixture using an immersion blender, high-powered blender, or run it through a food mill. If you use a blender, please be careful pouring the hot mixture into the blender.
- In the now empty pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and whisk to make a roux. Cook until the roux is a medium brown. Gradually whisk in a small amount of the tomato mixture until well blended, then stir in the rest.
- Add salt, basil, and oregano – adjust to taste.