Like I am always telling you, I am not a foodie. So when Mooney Farms contacted me about trying out their Bella Sun Luci sun dried tomato products I was was not sure what to say. I really had no idea how to use sun dried tomatoes in the first place. I had eaten dishes made with sun dried tomatoes in a few restaurants but I hated as many as I liked. Then I started to feel challenged. Could I find delicious and easy uses for the sun dried tomato? Of course I could! This turkey meatloaf is the result and I think it turned out to be pretty tasty.
I was quite happy when I got my product package from Mooney Farms because it contained a pretty good variety of sun dried tomato products. They also sent me some information about the company which I really appreciated because I like to know a little about the companies I buy from. I was happy to see that Mooney Farms is a family owned business. I come from a small business family and I truly respect family-owned businesses.
One cool thing about the Bella Sun Luci jars is that they each come with several recipes ideas. The Sun Dried Tomato Pesto had an Italian meatloaf idea and I used that as a starting point for this recipe. I simplified the recipe, making it more child-friendly for my picky kids. This recipe is quite different from how I usually make meatloaf and I realize it looks a bit like carrot cake, but it was so good. My kiddos gobbled it right up (get it, turkey meatloaf, gobbled?).
Before I give you the recipe, let me just say that I am in love with the Bella Sun Luci tomato halves and now eat them right out of the bag like they are potato chips. So good! They are not used in the recipe below, but I had to mention them since they are so delicious.
Italian Turkey Meatloaf with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients, except cheese, in a large bowl.
- Place the mixture into a loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully drain off some of the grease (optional).
- Top with Mozzarella cheese and return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Feel free to alter the ingredients amounts to your tastes. It is pretty hard to mess up meatloaf.
- Consider adding grated mozzarella to the meatloaf itself. The cheese on top of the meatloaf is good, but I think it tastes great inside the meatloaf as well.
- I always drain the grease out of a meatloaf near the end of cooking. If you do that, please be careful not to burn yourself or dump your dinner in the sink.
I love the Bella Sun Luci products and I think you will, too. Bella Sun Luci products can be bought at various US stores, through Amazon.com or at the Bella Sun Luci Online Store. Check out their website for recipes and to enter the recipe contest going on right now (with a prize of $2,500).