I am so excited that Thanksgiving is almost here. Hopefully you are planning to spend some quality time celebrating your family and giving thanks for your blessings. I wanted to share these fun place card holders my children and I made. These are an easy and fun craft that a child could do independently. They also store well and can be used more than once.
These place holders can be made in advance, or they can be a craft for the children to complete on Thanksgiving Day while the grown ups are running around cooking or sitting by and watching football. Actually, the grown-ups might want to make some as well.
What you will need:
- pine cones, one per place setting
- fall colored paint and/or tissue paper
- place cards
- hole punch
- pipe cleaners
- Decorate the pine cones. Our pine cones were either painted or small clumps of tissue paper were stuffed into the openings.
- Write the names of your family members and guests on the place cards and punch a hole in the bottom of each one.
- With one end of the pipe cleaner, make a loop big enough for your pine cone to rest in. After determining how high you want to place holder to be, cut the other end of the pipe cleaner and secure it to the place card using the punched hole. Don’t worry if it won’t stand up – once you place the pine cone onto the loop the weight will keep it upright. Please note that unless your pine cones are pretty uniform in size you will need to make the loops different sizes. Also, consider making the place card holders in varying heights for a more natural look.
These place holders are so fun and easy to create. Why not give them a try this week at your Thanksgiving dinner? Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.