My all-time favorite breakfast is biscuits and gravy and when I became a vegetarian several years ago, I thought I would never enjoy this dish again. After playing around with some meat replacements (most of which were really gross), I came up with this easy recipe which resulted in vegetarian biscuits and gravy that is so tasty that even a die-hard meat-lover like my husband enjoys it. In fact, he had eaten it several times before he realized it was vegetarian. I haven’t found a single person who doesn’t like this recipe.
This recipe is almost exactly like making traditional biscuits and gravy, except MorningStar Farms veggie sausage patties are substituted in for the sausage. These are the only vegetarian sausage patties that I eat. They are tasty, meatless, and have significantly less fat than traditional sausage.
Vegetarian Biscuits and Gravy
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 3 tbs flour
- 3 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 2 MorningStar Farms Veggie Sausage Patties, warmed up and finely minced (see photo below)
- 3/4 tsp of sea salt
- 8-10 of your favorite biscuits (Try these biscuits!)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly add flour to butter and whisk continuously to make a roux.
- Add the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add the veggie sausage and salt and whisk continuously, letting the gravy thicken.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve over biscuits.