It’s football season again and I am super excited because this is the first football season in my life that I have a big screen TV. Let me tell you, it was very hard to enjoy the game on an analog 27 inch TV, but at least I always had good food ready to go on game day. Whether your TV is big or small, or whether you are watching the game live or on TV, the right food can really enhance your experience. I don’t eat that much meat but I live in a house full of meat-lovers and I would have a revolt on my hands if I tried to serve up a tailgating or grilling experience without beef on the grill. Burgers are always a hit, especially when you can put a fun spin on them. My kids really love these taco burgers and since they are so easy to make, you can keep game day simple.
- Mix all ingredients well using your hands.
- Shape the meat mixture into four patties.
- Grill over high heat, turning once. Top with cheese.
- Remove the burgers from grill and let the burgers sit for five minutes before serving.
- Serve on high quality buns with lettuce, tomato, and chipotle mayo.
These burgers have a fantastic flavor and are very easy to personalize. Use your favorite salsa, seasoning, and even flavored tortilla chips.
We watch most of our games at home on the TV. We love our team but it can be super expensive to drive the 100 mile round trip, purchase four tickets, and buy refreshments at the game. Besides, with my new TV, I can actually see more of the game on the TV than I can in the stadium. Watching at home does not to be a bore, though. There’s no reason you cannot create a tailgating experience at home.
Tips for Tailgating at Home
- Create an environment. Hang up team flags, put up an umbrella, place some ice chests full of your favorite beverages near some lawn chairs.
- Stay outside until just before game time! Pump up the pre-game coverage on the radio and light the grill.
- Serve a lot of food. Grill something, serve several snack items including chips, salsa, guacamole, and cookies.
- Use paper plates. Keep it simple by using disposable utensils and paper plates. Try to find football themed items.
- Wear your team’s jerseys and t-shirts, or at least team colors.
- Have fun!
So, are you ready for some football?