El Monterey recently sent me several boxes of their taquitos so I could try them out and share some game day ideas with my fantastic readers. Everyone knows that finger foods make the best snacks on game day. El Monterey has so many choices and a lot of tasty taquito flavors. The flavors they sent my family included Nacho Cheese and Jalapeno Ranch Shell Shockers as well as Southwest Chicken and Taco and Cheese Seasoned Battered Taquitos, all of which were fantastic. I would love to share three ways to serve El Monterey taquitos on game day that will help you keep your Superbowl party guests satisfied and coming back for more. Keep reading for a delicious roasted tomatillo salsa recipe and a very quick and easy chicken enchilada recipe. (I also have a coupon code and giveaway for you!)
El Monterey taquitos are, of course, delicious on their on. But a plateful of taquitos might not be festive enough for your guests. Or maybe you have that one relative who eats all the good stuff before you even pick up your plate. Why not try filling some coozy cups with taquitos? Everyone can grab a cup and the coozy will even help them stay warm longer. (For all you bachelors out there, be sure to wash your coozys first).
My favorite way to eat taquitos is on a plate that has a big bowl of salsa on it. I made tomatillo salsa for the first time this week especially for this post. I think it turned out quite tasty. Check out this easy recipe and be sure to have some on hand when your guests arrive. This recipe makes enough for about 4 people so you may want to double or even triple it depending on your guest list.
Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- 4 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 1 small jalapeno (or half a big one), seeded
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5 sprigs of fresh cilantro (optional – remove stem bottoms)
- 1/4 of a small yellow onion, chopped (NOT sweet)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Place the tomatillos, jalapeno, and garlic on a baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes or until they begin to blacken.
- Flip everything over and broil for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Place the roasted ingredients (including the juice and everything stuck to the baking sheet), onion, and cilantro into a blender and blend until it reaches desired consistency (I like mine thin).
- Add salt and enjoy!
Another way to enjoy El Monterey taquitos is by using them to create quick and easy chicken enchiladas. I love making enchiladas from scratch but who has the time when you are prepping for a huge party? El Monterey taquitos can help you save a ton of time.
Quick and Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 box of El Monterey Southwest Chicken taquitos (24 count), partially thawed
- 1 large can of enchilada sauce
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spray a 13 x 9 dish with cooking spray and place taquitos into the pan until no space remains.
- Cover the taquitos completely with enchilada sauce.
- Sprinkle the top with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 5 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa, or whatever your heart desires.
I am so hungry after writing this post. Get your own El Monterey taquitos at your grocery store but first print off this coupon for 75 cents off El Monterey Taquitos & Mini Chimis.