If your kids are old enough to attempt to stay up until midnight on New Year’s Eve then this is a perfect activity for your family. This New Year’s Eve countdown activity for kids will keep them engaged and looking forward to each hour when they get to open a bag and retrieve their hourly gift. I really like this activity because it is very easy to put together yet it results in so much fun and memory making. This entire activity can be put together in less than an hour, depending on how many children you have. If you have a large family or maybe a small budget, you can make one set of bags instead of a set per child.
New Year’s Eve Countdown Activity for Kids
- Determine how many hours you want to include. I do bags for five hours (8:00, 9:00, 10:00, 11:00, and midnight).
- Make a bag for each hour. You can either use clocks like I did, or simply write the time on the bag.
- Fill each bag with a goody or two. I like to include a snack in the 8:00 and 10:00 bags, and a noise maker and sparkler in the midnight bag (which we open at five minutes before midnight). Other items I include are easy crafts, activity books, small toys, candy, glow bracelets, and other fun items that can all be found at your local dollar store. You do not need to spend a lot to make this a fun and memorable activity.
- Fold over or seal up each bag and place them together on a table or countertop where the kids can see them.
- Have your children open their bags at the appropriate hour and let them have fun with it!
Give this activity a try this year and let me know how your children liked it!