Minions. There is so much fun in that one little word. My family loves the minions so when we heard they were getting their own movie, we were very excited. We watched Illumination Entertainment’s Minions movie in theaters and ever since my daughter has been begging me to buy it. I went out and bought the movie at my first opportunity and we began to plan a Minions movie night.
In our home, we usually have movie nights right after dinner, so we planned a fun minions-themed dessert. Most minions snacks look like minions but we wanted to create something that reminded us of minions. I decided to make a layer cake that utilized minions colors (blue and yellow) but looked like a good old-fashioned cake. Of course, I knew it would have to be easy since the minions mess so much up. Basically, I made a white cake, split the batter in two, and dyed one layer yellow and one blue. Easy peasy and kid and minions friendly.
Minions Layer Cake
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup salted butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- yellow food dye
- blue food dye
- white frosting (try this one)
- blue and yellow candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 round cake pans (do this well!).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, allowing to blend completely, then stir in the vanilla.
- Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Slowly stir in the milk until batter is smooth.
- Divide batter equally into two bowls.
- Add yellow food dye a few drops at a time and stir until desired yellow is reached (about 4-6 drops).
- Add blue food dye a few drops at a time and stir until desired blue is reached (about 9-12 drops).
- Pour into cake pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and frost with your favorite white frosting. Top with candy spinkles.
It was hard to keep my kiddos away from this cake until after dinner. Once dinner was cleaned up, I cut up the cake and got the Minions movie ready to play. My daughter was the first to the couch with her minions layer cake. Let the fun begin!