It is no secret that I have a lot to learn about cake decorating. Nonetheless, I love to decorate cupcakes. My son usually requests creative cupcakes for his class birthday party and some of his past requests have included a giant snake, ocean cupcakes, and dirt cupcakes with a gummy worm in them. Those were all pretty easy for me. This year, however, he is into Ninjago which is a little more specific and detailed. Everything I saw on Pinterest looked too difficult for my skill level but he really wanted Lego Ninjago cupcakes so I decided to give a try.
I found two very cute cupcake ideas that I liked. Wendy has some nice cupcakes with Lego inspired candies over on Around My Family Table and Christy has some awesome Ninjago cupcakes (and cool cookies!) over at Christy’s Savories. With some design ideas in mind I got to work making the cupcakes.
Lego Ninjago Cupcakes
- Baked and cooled cupcakes:
- Choose your favorite cupcake recipe and prepare the cupcakes as directed. Here is my favorite chocolate cake recipe and an amazing banana cake recipe. It it okay to fill the cupcake liners up high for the Lego candy cupcakes, but you will want the Green Ninja cupcakes to be relatively flat so only fill those up 2/3 of the way or so.
- Buttercream frosting: homemade is best as you can adjust the consistency.
- Yellow icing color.
- One can of green decorating icing like this (or whatever ninja color you want).
- Block candies (available at many candy stores where candy is sold in bulk).
- Black sparkle gel.
For the Lego cupcakes I simply added the icing color to the buttercream frosting and then frosted each cupcake. After they were frosted I added the Lego candies to the top.
For the ninja cupcakes I applied a very thin layer of the yellow frosting from the Lego cupcakes on each cupcake. Then I iced the ninja hood onto each cupcake using the decorating icing. This got easier and the cupcakes got better looking as I went. You could really tell which ninjas were the first ones made (poor little guys). Be sure to leave an opening in the hood so that you can add the eyes and eyebrows using the black sparkle gel.
These cupcakes turned out good enough to delight my son and his classmates. What more could I ask for?
Do your children love Ninjago? Which ninja is their favorite?