I go back and forth with being a vegetarian. I waffle between strict vegetarianism and anything goes eating and I am really tired of it. I have recently promised myself to get back onto the vegetarian wagon and stay strong. Meat just really messes with my digestive system. My weakest area, especially during busy times like the holidays, is getting enough protein. When I feel myself needing some protein, I often find it very easy to reach for a meat product. But I just discovered that GNC has several plant-based protein powders and they sent me a sample of their GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ to try out. I used it to make a chocolate smoothie that was rich, vegan, and delicious.
Before we get to the recipe, let me tell you a little bit about the plant proteins that are available at GNC.
- Plant-based proteins can be a great option if you follow a vegetarian or vegan diet or simply want to support lean muscle and total body health.
- Plant-based protein sources include brown rice, pea, hemp and soy.
- Discover the power of plant-based proteins at GNC here.
- GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ delivers a robust blend of vitamins and minerals typically found in wholesome super foods, protein and other key nutrients necessary for maintaining optimal health and wellness.
- Each serving of GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ contains spirulina and bee pollen, which provide beneficial vitamins and minerals to support optimal nutrition and health.
- The premium formula of GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ is also loaded with 14 grams of protein derived from non-GMO (genetically modified organism), vegetarian sources such as soy protein, brown rice protein and pea protein, as well as food-based enzymes to support digestive health.
- Great-tasting, nutrient-dense GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ offers a hearty helping of natural goodness in every delicious, easy-to-mix serving.
- But because brown rice protein is not a complete or whole protein, it is most commonly paired with pea protein to complete the essential amino acid profile.
- Brown rice protein is a convenient source of protein for vegetarians.
- Pea proteins are commonly high in the amino acids lysine and arginine
- Pea protein is a great option for vegetarians and vegans
- Soy protein provides essential amino acids our bodies need for growth and repair of muscles.
- Soy protein contains no cholesterol and very little fat.
- Soy protein is a good option for people who follow a vegetarian diet.
Protein powders have come a long way. I found the GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ to be quite delicious and pleasant in both smell and appearance. I love chocolate and adding cocoa powder to a smoothie makes me feel like I am splurging on a treat. Yum.
Chocolate Plant Based Protein Shake
- 2 scoops vanilla flavored GNC SuperFoods Spiru-Meal™ (scoop comes with powder)
- 1 cup rice milk
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup ice
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
This post is brought to you by GNC and The Motherhood. All opinions are my own. #GNCPlantProtein