I was recently challenged to make a non-drink recipe using coffee. As you may know, I already use coffee in my chocolate pudding recipe but I had not used it in anything else. The first idea that came to mind was to alter the chocolate cake recipe that I make and substitute hot brewed coffee for the boiled water the recipe calls for. I took myself down to Smart and Final for some Ambiance coffee. I had the kiddos with me and as you can see they were a little too crazy to be in a store! You can see my shopping story here.
When I saw that Ambiance coffee comes in hazelnut flavor I was excited because I knew that the hazelnut flavor would be perfect for the cupcakes. I was right. These turned out so good that I only frosted a few of them for the kids and we ate the rest plain!
Chocolate Hazelnut Cupcakes
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot, freshly brewed Ambiance Hazelnut Coffee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper baking cups.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to mixing bowl.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in coffee. The batter will be thin and that’s okay!
- Pour batter into cupcake cups.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove to wire racks and cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting. These are strong cupcakes so you might want to stick with vanilla buttercream.
- Smart and Final Social Circular: community.smartandfinal.com
- Smart and Final on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/SmartFinal
- Smart and Final’s Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/SmartFinal
I am a member of the Collective Bias™ Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper insights study for Collective Bias™ and Smart & Final #CBias #SocialFabric. All opinion are my own.