Brownies are my ultimate food weakness. I absolutely prefer homemade brownies to box mixes and just love how easy brownies are to make. Who doesn’t love brownies? I eat a plant-based diet and only allow a few animal products in from time to time. I recently decided to significantly reduce my consumption of milk and butter as much as possible so I was excited when I found a vegan brownie recipe over at allrecipes.com that had over 400 reviews and a rating of four out of five stars. I gave it a try even though I was a little skeptical abut how the brownies would turn out.
These brownies are delicious! My kids loved them and kept sneaking them behind my back. They are on the ooey gooey side so if you like a cake-like brownie, this is not the recipe for you. Also, please remember that just because these are vegan that does not mean they are healthy.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the water, vegetable oil, and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Feel free to top your brownies with your favorite topping. I usually do not top my brownies but I gave these a dusting with powdered sugar. Also, some reviewers made substitutions such as using soy milk in place of water and reducing the oil. You can head over to the allrecipes.com if you want to see those reviews.
Try these brownies out. I know you will enjoy them. Be sure to let me know what you think about this recipe. Feel free to leave a comment. Share and let’s talk about it.