Every year we build a gingerbread house. We usually do it the day after Thanksgiving, but we had to wait a week or so this year. The reason for the delay? We could only find pre-assembled houses instead of the kits we usually buy. I searched many stores until I found a gingerbread house kit at Michael’s. I argued that half the fun was putting the house together. Later that day I was questioning this as I tried to get the house assembled.
We always have fun doing this. I usually assemble the house and the kiddos decorate it. I used to fret about trying to have a glamorous house that looked like something Martha made, but I gave that up a long time ago. Now I just sit back and let the kiddos create and design. It is quite a fun experience every year.
The kiddos especially like the day after Christmas when they are allowed to eat the house. I never eat it because I think the box kits taste bad and every year I say I am going to make my own house from scratch – maybe next year I will. I found these nifty gingerbread house cookie cutters that I am going to try out.
Here are some tips for a good gingerbread house building experience:
- Let the kiddos take the lead.
- Be sure to save some Halloween candy to use for your house. The box kits never give you enough.
- Build and display your creation on a cookie sheet or other portable flat surface.
- Do not make your frosting too thin or the house will take hours and hours to dry.
- Don’t just focus on the house. Be sure to create a yard and maybe even a street.
- Don’t be afraid to add props.
- Dust your finished creation with powdered sugar to create a snowy look.
- Be sure to take a lot of pictures of the construction and later the eating of the house. These are precious memories in the making!
This year I made a fire out of Tootsie Rolls, Dots, and gum drops. I glued it together with frosting which makes it look like there is snow on the fire. Next time I will melt a Tootsie Roll instead.
If you haven’t already, get to work on your gingerbread house. It is a fun tradition your family is sure to love!